Determining the entitlement to structural indicators of health by means of fuzzy AHP and TOPSIS: a case study in Sistan and Baluchestan, Iran
Abstractpurposefully enjoy health services and facilities; failure in this regard may lead to unpleasant consequences. Methods: The research is both applied and analytical whichranks the counties of Sistan and Baluchestan province in terms of entitlement to health structural indicators in 2011. Thus, 15 health structural indicators were selectedand data were collected from Statistical Center of Iran. Experts’ opinions and FAHP technique were used to weight the indicators. Finally the counties ranked by TOPSIStechnique. Data were analyzed using Excel, Expert Choice, and LINGO. Findings: FAHP’s results showed that indicator of health house workers (Behvarz) in health centerswas more important and dentist indicator less important than other indicators. Besides, TOPSIS technique showed that Zahedan, Zabol, and Iranshahr were the highest andDelgan, Zaboli, and Sib and Suran were the least entitled counties, respectively. Conclusion: Based on our findings, there seems to be a huge gap between the counties ofthe province in terms of their entitlement to health structural indicators. It is therefore suggested that authorities of the health section set the priorities according to thecounties’ entitlement to the indicators to remove inequalities in the province.
(1) Fooladband F, Navaeian N, Hosseini J. Equity in Health. Behvarz.
(2) Zandiyan H, Ghiasvand H, Nasimi Dosst R. Measuring inequality of
distribution of health resources: a case study. Health Monitor. 2012
(3) Tahari Mehrjardi MH, Babaei Mybodi H, Morovati Sharifabadi A.
Investigation and Ranking of Iranian Provinces in Terms of Access to
Health Sector Indicators. Health Information Management. 2012 (9)
(4) Zangi Abadi A, Alizadeh J, Ahmadian M. An analysis of level of
developedness of the Eastern Azerbaijan’stownships using TOPSIS
and AHP method. Quarterly Journal of Human Geography. 2011 (4)
(5) Dahlin J, Harkonen J. Cross-national differences in the gender gap in
subjective health in Europe: Does country-level gender equality
matter?. Social Science & Medicine. 2013 (98) 24-8.
(6) Vaez Mahdavi MR, Vaez Mahdavi Z. Programing for Equity with
Emphasis on Equity in Health. Economics and Society. 2010 (7) 191-
(7) Alami A. Equity in Health From the perspective of social
determinants of health. Journal of Research & Health. 2011 (1) 7-
(8) Health WCoSDo. Closing the Gap in a Generation: Health Equity
Through Action on the Social Determinants of Health: Final Report
of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health: World Health
(9) La Rosa-Salas V, Tricas-Sauras S. Equity in health care. Cuadernos de
bioetica : revista oficial de la Asociacion Espanola de Bioetica y Etica
Medica. 2008 (19) 355-68.
(10) Hajimahmoodi H, Zahedi F. Justice in Health Care System: Payment
and Reimbursement Policies in Iran. Journal of Medical Ethics and
History of Medicine. 2013 (6) 1-16.
(11) Bahadori M, Shams L, Sadeghifar J, Hamouzadeh P, Nejati M.
Classification of health structural indicators using scalogram model
in golestan province, northern Iran. Iran J Public Health. 2012 (41)
(12) Hamouzadeh P, Moradi Hovasin N, Sadeghifar J, Tofighi S. Ranking
West Azerbaijan districts regarding utilization of structural indices
of health care. The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences.
(13) Soares JO, Marquês MML, Monteiro CMF. A multivariate
methodology to uncover regional disparities: A contribution to
improve European Union and governmental decisions. European
Journal of Operational Research. 2003 (145) 121-35.
(14) Peters DH, Garg A, Bloom G, Walker DG, Brieger WR, Rahman MH.
Poverty and access to health care in developing countries. Annals of
the New York Academy of Sciences. 2008(1136) 161-71.
(15) Saaty TL. Group decision making and the AHP. The Analytic
Hierarchy Process. Springer. 1989; pages 59-67.
(16) Saaty TL, Shang JS. An innovative orders-of-magnitude approach to
AHP-based multi-criteria decision making: Prioritizing divergent
intangible humane acts. European Journal of Operational Research.
(17) Leung L, Cao D. On consistency and ranking of alternatives in fuzzy
AHP. European Journal of Operational Research. 2000 (124) 102-13.
(18) Buckley JJ. Fuzzy hierarchical analysis. Fuzzy Sets and Systems. 1985
(19) Momeni M. Topics New Operations Research. Tehran University
Management School Publication. 2001, Tehran
(20) Lotfi S, Shabani M. Integrated Model for Regional Development
Ranking a Case Study: Health System of Mazandaran. Journal of
Geographical Sciences and Applied Research. 2012 (13) 7-30.
(21) Ghaed Rahmati S, Khadem ol Hosseini A, Mohammadifard A. An
Analysis of the degree of development of Cities in Sistan-
Baluchestan Province. Amayesh Geographical Journal. 2010 (9) 1-
(22) Statistical Yearbook of Sistan and Baluchestan Province. Statistical
Center of Iran. 2009.
(23) Amini S, Yadollahi H, Eynanlu S. Health Rating Provinces of the
Country. Social Welfare Quartertly. 2006 (5) 27-48